Monday, November 2, 2015

It begins.


I believe that our society has been lying to us.  When I was in High School, I was told that if I got a college degree then I would be guaranteed a "good" career, a home, a retirement, and stability.  When I graduated college, it was in the middle of the recession and none of those things occurred.

Years later, I find myself still living paycheck to paycheck, trying to make ends meet and my wife and children happy.  It's just too much.

In late 2014, my wife and I began to look at our future.  We came up with a few goals: we want to be debt free, we want a good credit score, we want to buy what we wanted, we want to be able to go on one vacation a year, we want to own a home, and finally we want a farm.

I started to put money in to peer to peer investing at Prosper which was a great investment.  I was seeing a 8.5% annual growth. I started to put money in Acorns and Stash monthly.  Then in August, my state passed some regulations on Peer-to-peer investing to those who have an annual income of $70,000 or a net worth of $100,000. It was as if my state is telling people that they cannot make money.  So now I have a new goal: hit the $100,000 net worth goal.


I started to roam the Intarwebs looking for ways to make additional money to savings tricks.  I found blog called Frugal Portland where they started a movement called the 50% Club. I read it and color me intrigued.

I talked to my wife and we have decided to try this out. My first goal was to find out how much we were actually saving each month now. So after doing some math, I found out that we are currently saving 9% of our income.

So now we have a starting point. I do not see us being able to get to the 50% mark this year, but we're going to try.

No comments:

Post a Comment